"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Monday, November 29, 2010

Mama Grizzly...taking notes from nature

We have been so incredibly blessed to have such a strong support system from our family and friends during this adoption process.  Jordan and I couldn't be more thankful for all the prayers and encouraging words.  But...yes, there is always a but...but every now and then you come across someone who isn't on board with the notion that we are adopting.  That's okay - they don't have to be.  However, when they start to raise their eyebrows or make truly innocent and concerning comments about "those kids in the system" my  blood pressure goes up a bit as does the hair on my back, my teeth start to show and I'd really just like to growl at them - just like a Mama Grizzly does (thank you, Sarah Palin). 
We are fully aware that our kids will likely come with a bit more baggage than a newborn does.  That's only natural.  If you live longer than a minute, you're going to come with baggage.  But when some people question us or wonder why we would ever want to adopt when we could potentially have our own children with treatments I can't help but feel defensive.
Even though we don't know quite yet who they are, they are mine.  I take it very personally when anyone makes any comment that is the slightest bit from being 110% supportive.  I can't help it - those are my kids and to me, they are already perfect.  Whoever they are, whatever package they come in, whatever skill set they have...they are mine, all mine, and they are perfect.
I've had to work hard on accepting the fact that this decision may not be embraced by everyone.  That's okay - it does't make me like that person any less or think badly of that person.  In fact, one year ago I was that person.  Hearts can change - this I know.  Once they see my little buggers and love them up they'll have no choice but to fall in love with them.  Until they do, though, watch out for the Mama Grizzly in me!

3 comments:

  1. ....that's my girl! Watch out for Grammy Grizzly too! hahahahahahha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah-I'm so sorry someone hurt you with their ignorance. The Lord knows I've been thoughtless and ignorant at times making comments even toward people I care deeply for. Praise God who is able to forgive and be gracious to us and those whom we've hurt! I'm confident of this...your joy will speak louder than words when these little ones come into your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just reading that someone would say such things made meupset...it is one thing to ask questions but to talk so negatively is a whole other story. Hang in there, chica...we are all praying for you and we all know that your kids are perfect and will have a perfect mom and dad to care and love them. Keep smiling!! Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete