"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

730

 2 years = 24 months = 104 weeks = 730 days = 17,520 hours
 
As of today, this is how long we've had our children.
 
 
Some people call this day "Gotcha Day."  Right now we don't call it anything or we don't celebrate it.  The children still remember the discomfort of the day so this is one of the days we hardly discuss.  I'll secretly rejoice in my heart.  We save the partying and celebrations for "Adoption Day."  That is the day the children longed for and eagerly anticipated and that is the day they remember as joyous and special.
 
 
 
 
Between April 16, 2011 and April 16, 2013 I have learned more than I have learned in my whole life combined.  That's not a joke.  That's not an exaggeration.  As I anticipated writing this blog I've been trying to think of what I learned the most about.
 
 
Redemption
 
Adoption isn't only about building a family.  Adoption isn't just about saving a child.  Adoption is a lot about redemption.  When I look back and remember my children as they were then and then I step back and see who they are now, God's redemption story is written all over them.
 
My children knew nothing of unconditional love, nothing of sacrifice, nothing of God, nothing of their Savior, no prayers, no family outings, no holiday traditions, no grace, no peace, no patience.  For those of you who have closely walked this journey with us take a moment and remember the children two years ago.  Remember the three-plus hour tantrums, remember the continual mistrust, remember the severe attention-getting behaviors, remember the withdrawal, remember the fear, remember the anxiety, remember the testing of boundaries over and over again.
 
When I do that it used to make me sad. 
 
Now, however, I  rejoice.
 
 
God has had His mighty hand in their hearts from the very start, preparing them for this journey, preparing them for a life for Him.  Of this I am fully confident.
 
We still have our moments nearly every day...but they are different than before.  We still go to therapy and we still work through issues...but they are different than before.  The children know God.  They love God.  They praise God.  They cling to God.  Though their life story has had a rough start and they know the ugly side of adoption...you know, the side where you're torn from your parents, feelings of abandonment, the great "what-if-it-doesn't-really-happen" and the many, many adjustments...they know and understand the beauty of adoption. 
It was with their encouragement that we pursued our Ethiopian boys so quickly, it was their idea to mail big packages to our church orphanage in Rwanda, it was with their very own money that they went shopping for their new brothers and bought them gifts, and it is with their very own mouths that they speak of the day they will adopt children too.  This, my friends, is redemption at its best. 
 
God has taken the lost and made them His found.
 
Just.Like.He.Promised.

April 2011

April 2012

April 2013
 
 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great, great post, Sarah! I remembered the anniversary just the other day and how they did not even know that you sit at the table and use utensils for eating when we visited that first week in your little apartment. Having time with them this Easter at the restaurant, Sheldon and I were in awe that they sat peacefully at the table, didn't need everyone's attention at every moment, and genuinely seem to enjoy being part of the whole, big family! Manners aren't nearly the object of my awe, though. It's seeing with my own eyes that they are able to be children with ideas, dreams, and genuine (not forced) smiles. We love them and appreciate all you, Jordan and your family members have done to pour love all over them.

    ReplyDelete