"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Progress...Real Progress!

I can hardly type I am so excited.  We have made significant progress over the past week.  Let's start with the not-the-greatest progress:
We have had quite a few groups taken off our list this past week.  We went from 11 down to 6.  Though we were disappointed, that happens...and it is progress.  We would MUCH RATHER know who is no longer on our list than wait in the foster care purgatory where we just don't know anything about a group.  So, though it sounds contradictory, we count the "No's" as progress.

Now, for some semi-big news:
Two groups on our list have called our caseworker more than once to get more information about us.  Some of the information was so specific that our Jess (our caseworker) had to call us for the answers.  This is great news.  The fact that two different caseworkers for two different sets of kids called to learn more about us is great.  Obviously that means they are pretty interested in us as parents for their kids.  We are thrilled about this.

Now, for some even bigger news:
WE HAVE AN INTERVIEW!  A caseworker called Jess today (2/16/11) to see if we were interested enough to set-up an interview with her and the County Worker.  This is wonderful news.  Let me clarify quickly before you start jumping up and down and calling the local news (like I almost did!):  this does not mean we "get the kids."  This only means that we seem like real potential fit for these kids and the caseworker and county worker want a chance to meet with us.  From what we know, this process is usually limited to 3-5 families.  It is likely that a family will be chosen for these kids from the families that are interviewed.  So yes, we are a real potential...but so are other families.
I wish I could tell you more about the process.  I will be able to after Wednesday February 23 - which is the date of our interview.  Jess will brief us and prepare us as best as she can so we are prepared for all sorts of questions.  Don't you worry, friends, I'm already arming my brain with all the info I can:  all of my resources in the medical and education field, child development classes, resources in the military, etc.  I will go into this interview armed and ready for battle...battle for my kids.
So, what can you do.  Encourage us and pray for us.  Right now, even as I type, I am so nervous I could vomit.  The thought of "auditioning" for my kids terrifies me.  Good-bye sleep - I won't see you for quite some time.
What if we don't pass...what if we don't get these kids?  Well, the right I'm-A-Good-Christian-And-Have-An-Unwaivering-Faith-answer is this:  We'll know they weren't the kids that were meant for us so we are thankful for the opportunity to learn more about the interview process and we'll move on excitedly knowing that our kids are still out there waiting for us.
I suspect, though, our answer will look more like I'm-A-Growing-Christian-And-Have-A-Faith-That-Is-Growing-Too-Answer:  We'll know they weren't the kids for us but we'll still be terribly disappointed because we came so close.  Although we'll be thankful to learn about the interview process we'll be scared to go through it again knowing we might feel the same bad feelings that come with "not making the cut."  I'm not really sure how we'll feel - I'm only guessing from experience.
If we get the kids - you'll know.  Boy will you ever know.  You'll know about any kids we get.  The world will know.
Until then, we'll keep you posted.  Until then we need you, friends.  I'll be in touch soon!  Until then, lets hang on this verse:

Psalm 29:11 - The LORD gives strength to His people; the LORD blesses His people with peace.

5 comments:

  1. Whoo Hoo! This is SO great to hear! This is exactly what you two have been waiting and preparing for...you will be great! Thinking about you two and lifting you up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful, wonderful news! I can not even begin to comprehend the emotional roller-coaster that you both, and your families, must be going through during this process. Wishing you both the best of luck on your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I've told you in the past that I love you more each and every time I see your beautiful face, that fact has become true, when each and everytime I hear your voice...I love you more and more with each phone call! Your voice gave away your excitement on the phone today even before you told me the news and when we hung up Daddy said...I guess your mind must be going a mile a minute???? and he's right! I am so excited that I already have plans to buy their Easter outfits! HEE! HEE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whooooooooohooooooooooooo! great news!! you guys will do great!! Some NY air will help you prepare for the interview...well if not the air then definitely some quality time with your best girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah, took a gander at this post to see how things are going...I'm not sure what all you need to know for your interview, but please use me for a resource if you need to! As a school psychologist (in training) I have lots of information about all different types of kiddos and psychology, child development, and education so just let me know :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete