"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I See The World On Their Shoulders...

As I have reflected back on my previous blog I was hit rather hard with some convictions.  I do try my best to remain thankful for all the blessings that I have.  I have even tried to name them each day so that they are fresh, real reminders of all that I have.  But the thing that hit me the hardest was even though I say and pray how thankful I am for my many blessings do I always act like I am thankful?
The mantra "Actions speak louder than words" has been floating about my mind.  I've felt that it is high time that I do more than say thanks and start acting thankful.
Oh trust me, I have rationalized all sorts of "ways out" in my mind such as
     - I work with the sick and dying for my job, I do my part for those in need.
                    -- but I get paid for this
     - I help rehabilitate people too, so they can live to their fullest potential.
                    -- but I get paid for this too, AND the people
                        always thank me (personal gain)
     - I give money to church every week
                    -- but it's so easy to just write a check without
                        any other committment
     - I give to lots of other charity as well
                    -- but without any time or personal investment - it's easy
                        to give when you don't have to see what the people are
                        actually going through or feeling
      - I sign up to help and volunteer within the community and church
                    -- but in all honesty, some of this is so that I am seen
                        as a "good person"
      - I am adopting kids who are in desparate need of parents
                    -- but part of this comes from my own desire to be a mother

Please hear what I am NOT saying:  all of the things listed above are good things...they are things that will help people and things that I am called to do.  My point (directed only at myself...my finger is pointed at me) is that in each of the above things, there is always a degree of personal satisfaction or personal gain involved without much sacrifice.  That is where I have trouble.  On paper, it looks as though Jordan and I do a lot of giving and helping BUT when we sit down to chat about it we can't help but think we could be doing more.  We live rather comfortable lives compared to a lot of folks.  It's so easy to justify that we deserve this because we both have worked very hard to live this way.  Then I think of all the people who don't deserve to live they way they live...the people who don't have clean water, the people who don't have books to read, the people who are hungry every single day, the people who have holes in their shoes or perhaps no shoes at all, the people who can't receive adequate medical care, etc.  We could just give a little more, do a little more, and help a little more in order to make a potentially big difference in the life of someone.
We know we can't change the lives of everyone, but if we can help just one more person than we have been, that's a step in the right direction - right?
Here is another song that has really dug its way into my brain and my being.  I like it even better than the last song.  You've got to hear it...my sister, Kayla, introduced it to me over a year ago and it has hit me hard every time I hear it.  I'm serious - click this link for You Tube and listen to it now:

                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6X_ZBpqQs&feature=related

What did you think?  Maybe it didn't do anything for you; that's okay.  For me, though, it gets me all fired up.  It makes me want to do more, to be a better person.  The line that always gets me is:
           "I see the world on their shoulders and my easy load."
I do have it easy - most of us have it easy compared to so many other people.  Could we be doing more to help those people?  Sure, we can.  Will we? 
Will anyone out there in "blog world" join me in doing something more than you are doing right now.  It doesn't have to a big time-consuming, expensive endeavor to make a difference.  It can be something small.  But it still will be something more, something else to help someone else somewhere else. 
Let me be so bold as to offer a few suggestions:

- Each time you go to the grocery store, buy some canned or boxed goods and take them to the local food pantry on the way home (I'm embarrassed to say that I did do this, but then had google where the local food pantry is...I was ashamed at myself)
- Once a week/month buy something for your local homeless shelter:  sheets, a blanket, toiletries, etc.
- Offer a few hours of volunteer time each month at a church, a nursing home, a food pantry, etc.
- Each time you check out the the grocery store, purchase the $3 star that donates to local charities
- Consider "adopting" a third world child through an organization of your choice.  Ones we like are:
          - Compassion International:  http://www.compassion.com/
          - Umuryango Children's Network:  http://www.umuryango.org/
   Sure, $20/month or $50/month sounds like a lot, but in all reality it isn't.  For Jordan and I it's only giving up about 5 cups of Starbucks Coffee, 1 dinner out at Texas Roadhouse, 3 bottles of Seven Mountains Wine, 2 tickets to the movies, 4 On Demand movie rentals...get the picture.  In my mind lately I've been having trouble rationalizing "my right" to all of these things as opposed to helping someone else in a big way.
This post wasn't meant to put a guilt trip on anyone - it was to share my own guilt trip with you.  I am hoping that some of you may choose to use this as a kick in the pants to make a difference.  I know many of you already are (shout out to Shelly Sandom, check out her blog: http://pages.teamintraining.org/cpa/ambbr11/msandom).  Again, hear what I am NOT saying:  I'm not suggesting that anyone give away all that they have and live in poverty to help others.  I'm only suggesting that maybe we can each do a little more than we already are so that others can be helped in a big way.

P.S.
No big updates on the kid-front:  we do have more kids on our list now...three more groups to be exact.  We continue to pray for more information, quick movement, and clear direction and guidance for all involved.

4 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY how you feel and am so glad that you are dedicated to giving back as well! One person can make such a huge difference to the community, the country, and the world, just by making small changes!

    Thanks for the blog post, as well! Every extra bit of exposure helps to create awareness and moves us closer to a cure! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a motivational quote to add to this blog:

    "Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
    - George Herbert

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say that as your Mom, I couldn't be prouder of you and Jordan...but as I point the finger at the two of you I say a quick prayer and thank God for ALL the guidance and direction he's given your Dad and I throughout our lives...without Him we wouldn't have anything...and I don't mean material things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Sarah. I was just thinking about the child we sponsor through World Vision yesterday. I was thinking about my life in comparison to his and I felt very convicted. We should we writing him letters regularly and sending gifts whenever we can, but so often we get busy and forget. We are going to make a determined effort to be more involved in his life besides sending a check each month. I'd like to get more involved locally, as well. The sermon at my Church on Sunday was about living a missional life and how important it is for us to reach out to others instead of living inside the Christian "bubble". Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete