"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Six Is More Than Four

It's true.  Six is really more than four.  When they come in larger packages (read:  bodies) six seems like so much more than four. 

Benjamin and Samuel eat as much food as the little four kids combined.
I buy more.
 Benjamin and Samuel generate just about as much laundry as the little four do combined. 
I wash it.
Benjamin and Samuel generate twice as much dirt, dust, sweat, and sand as the little four do.
I clean it.
Benjamin and Samuel have more than twice the amount of emotions and hormones.
I talk them through it (awkwardly at time!)
Benjamin and Samuel generate twice as much noise as the little four do (99% of this is Benjamin).
I try my best to tolerate it.
Benjamin and Samuel are here and they are mine.
I love it.

It has been so long since my last post because, well, six is really more than four (I actually started this post in March - haha).  All of the quiet moments at night after the little fou went to bed that I could sneak in a blog post, a favorite book, a bubble bath, or NCIS has been spent in "teen time."  I have been working diligently to learn and know the hearts of my new boys.  I have spent countless hours just sitting with them on the couch watching soccer (kill me) waiting for them to let me catch a glimpse of their heart.  Wouldn't you believe it, the more time you spend with your kids on their level the more they actually will open up to you and let you into their lives.  Over the past 10 (Holy Cow) months we have settled into a pretty good rhythm as a family.  Initially (read: the first 6 months or so) we had some pretty big hurdles to overcome that were just riddled with hurt, anguish, grief, and loss, and confusion.  As kids tend to be, the boys proved to be just as resilient as the little four and as God always is, He proved to be faithful to redeem hurts and hearts.  The four little kids adore their big brothers and they adore the little kids.  Benjamin and Samuel have been especially good for my Joseph.  They are definitely positive role models in his life.  Of course, Amanda has them both wrapped around her little finger.

We had a fantastic summer.  If we were not on a vacation or adventure then we were hosting someone here.  Seriously.  Out of 101 summer days, 76 of them were spent vacationing or hosting.  Those in between days were spent packing, unpacking, or changing linens.  Though it exhausted me to the core I would do it again and plan to next summer :)  My house direly needs some one-on-one attention in every corner of every room (can you believe it, I am now at the point where I can put off house work to enjoy life...but only for a short time...then the Type-A Sarah we all know kicks back into gear).  But, the kids had a blast, I had a blast, and we were able to spend some much needed time with Jordan.  I loved spending so much time with the kids.  If it weren't for the brain in my head I'd consider homeschooling them so I can see them every hour of every day (note:  this is NOT a knock at any homeschooling mama...only my self-imposed inability to properly educate all of them).

Enter:  deployment and school

Jordan left about three weeks ago (we miss you more and more and more each day, my dear), summer ended, and school started last week.  Add on:  soccer, youth group, gymnastics, jazz, tap, and lyrical.  Can you say adjustment period?  We are working on finding our new normal but are quite far away from it at this point.  My dear husband has allowed me to have a nanny who started with us at the start of the school year.  I had been praying and calculating how I would ever cart these kids everywhere the need to be while still maintaining our home and relationships with each other.  Plus, you all know me.  I don't trust anyone with my angels.  How in the world would I ever find an energetic, trustworthy, flexible, God-fearing nanny whom I could trust with my treasures.  Mentioning it in casual conversation to a friend God provided the perfect person.  Rebekah has already been a huge blessing to all of us.  We love her dearly and I love how she loves us too.

The four little kids are doing so well.  I am so proud of them.  I am so proud of all six of them.  I am so grateful to God that He chose me to be their mother.  There are many moments when I don't feel worthy of such a calling...until I remember He is the one who called me to this.  If God has faith in me then He will equip me and stand by me.  For this, too, I am grateful.

I have learned so many things and have so much more to blog about.  But, it's teen time...to the couch I go...and, I already checked.  Soccer isn't on tonight :)




No comments:

Post a Comment