"Every good and perfect gift is from above..." James 1:17

Monday, November 7, 2011

They Are Ours!

Parental Rights Have Been Terminated!

Although this news is truly sad for the biological parents and will be upsetting on some level to our children now and in the future, we are rejoicing.
I feel as though the heaviest burden has been lifted from my spirit.  I had imagined how I would react and how I would feel and the scene wasn't what I thought.  It looked a little like this:

Amanda and I just pulled in the driveway from a rather large trip to the commissary.  As I walked in the door with both arms full of groceries, Amanda hanging off my leg and Brooke jumping to greet us, the phone rang.  Amanda said "It's my crazy Grammy again" (which it usually is.)  But, I looked at the caller ID and it said Lehigh County.  I always answer their calls, always.

Our caseworker for Lehigh Co. then gave us the wonderful news:  Parental Rights have been terminated.  The children will be ours.  The children are ours, but now the paperwork will match our hearts.

I tried my best not to cry or shout.  Amanda was with me.  The kids are always so sensitive to my moods that I didn't want to worry her with my tears.  Then I started the phone calls. 

Our caseworker in State College is filing our intent to adopt tomorrow.  We are serious and we want everyone else to know.

Here are the various scenarios:
1.  The parents have 30 days to appeal.  They do not appeal within the 30 days and the adoption paperwork begins immediately.  The adoption will be finalized in 2-4 months.
2.  The parents appeal within the 30 days.  The case is reviewed again.  There is NO REASON to believe that the decision will be overturned.  A termination case has never been overturned in the history of Lehigh County. 

*Please pray that the biological parents do NOT appeal this decision.


There are so many things I want to post about this.  They will come in future posts.  I'm high as a kite.  I'm thankful.  I'm humbled.  I'm relieved.  I'm happy.  I'm joyful.  I'm Momma.

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17

6 comments:

  1. I'm crying tears of happiness for all of you right now...those are some lucky children right there. Thank God, but the prayers won't stop for you and your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news, Momma Ames!! We are thankful and celebrating with you...

    Blessings,
    Chad O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tears of joy, too...God is good! I am so THRILLED for you guys! We will continue to pray. Keep us posted....where will the court date be held that finalizes it all? Close to State College? It would be fun to come and celebrate with you on that BIG DAY! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!! We are SO happy for you and the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. When our son's parental rights terminated, we had unanticipated mixed emotions. We expected only happiness, but were astonished at the feeling of loss for something that should never have happened. It sounds like you are doing a bang-up job with your four kids. Keep thinking positively :)

    ReplyDelete